Did you know that today, one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21? That’s right- braces are not just for teens. Our most senior patient treated at Keenan Orthodontics started her treatment at the age of 79! More adults than ever before are realizing the many benefits that comes from having a beautiful and functional smile.
They understand the importance of maintaining their health and they want to feel better about their appearance. And there are now more options available than ever before to get the smile of your dreams. Some parents have put all of their children through orthodontic treatment and suddenly say to themselves ‘Hey what about me? Maybe it’s my time now and time I invested in a beautiful smile for me!’
Common reasons why adults are considering orthodontic treatment:
- A bad bite causing teeth to fit together incorrectly, for example a deep overbite which can lead to premature tooth wear of the front teeth.
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly leading to tooth decay and gum disease.
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth.
Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile.
Treatment Options for Adults
When you think of braces, you probably picture an adolescent with a mouth full of metal. But those days are long gone – today’s orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Types of braces include:
- Clear ( Ceramic tooth coloured) braces
Traditional metal braces
“Would thoroughly recommend Peter and the team if you are considering orthodontic treatment at any stage. There maybe shorter/cheaper alternatives out there but if you want it done right, it’s worth getting the experts on board. Delighted with the results.“
– Kieran M.
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens:
Orthodontic treatment can create dramatic changes at any age, but adult patients, don’t have the benefit of growing jaws. Gum disease, crowns, caps, and missing teeth are all common issues we see in adult orthodontic patients
Dr Keenan routinely treats complex adult patients, conferring with your dentist and other dental specialists to deliver the highest quality of care possible. And in those cases where achieving an “ideal” outcome due to limitations of growth, missing teeth, etc exist, we will tailor a treatment plan that addresses your concerns while also thoroughly discussing risks and limitations of treatment.
Our practice also recognizes that adults and children have different needs, and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments, and that your needs are always met with understanding and respect from us.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with regular flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health issues, costing you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our practice to schedule an appointment. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.
Keenan Orthodontics provides the highest quality orthodontic treatment. From stylish coloured braces to Invisalign, no matter what your orthodontic issue is, our team is here to help. We strive to provide caring and affordable orthodontics in a friendly environment, for all our patients, at our Galway and Castlebar offices.
We are committed to ensuring that every patient has an exceptional experience on their way to their dream smile.